Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Orange

I recently realized that this year, I am in to Orange, (as my high school classmate, Sheri Leighton, would say) "IN A BIG WAY".

Orange is a sunny color, a summer color, a rich color. It is also excellent as an accent, but not to be used in large doses (unless freshly squeezed in a glass with a generous dose of vodka and perhaps a spash of cranberry).



Here are some ways I like to use orange.

I recently made planter boxes for our local office furniture and supply store, Whalens (http://www.whalens.com/) in Northampton. Just FYI, you won't find beautiful flowers in front of the Staples that opened in the Big Y strip mall this year. The plants in the boxes need to be able to handle some sun and some shade, and are placed on either side of the front door. This year I used a tall red coleus, the Kiwi coleus in the center (crazy/wonderful leaf shape) and orange New Guinea Impatiens. You need to visit the store to get the full effect (as well as a great deal on office supplies and furniture - tent sale this weekend), but these colors are outstanding against the tan block background, if I do say so myself.



I love tea, and searched high and low for 'killer' pots to brew our locally blended Teas (http://www.teaguys.com/) and mugs for sipping. In the meantime, I also found gorgeous plates for the sweet snacks we love to enjoy with our tea and even a poppy trivet for hot stuff or simple beauty. Orange goes with a lot of other colors, so as I said, you don't have to go crazy with the color.



Having a party or need a hostess gift? A former neighbor, Jill, stopped tonight on her way to visit a friend's home. She needed an under $1o hostess gift. I showed her the Vance Kittra candles and she chose a pear and a pair - in orange of course! The summery color!


We have a number of other items in orange, so if you are like me and digging citrus these days, stop by and see what else Hickory Dell has to offer.

No comments: